History of The Detroit Phonograph Co

The Detroit Phonograph Co. was founded in 1899 by Augustus Samuel Greening, born in Detroit, MI on March 31, 1874. Friends and family knew him simply as "Gus". In addition to being a phonograph dealer, Gus was also the proprietor of the Wonderland Theatre, a Vaudeville House on Woodward Ave. The "Spirit of Detroit" now stands in its place.

The original Detroit Phonograph Company was located at 6 E. Larned St, right at the heart of downtown Detroit. The shop later moved to Gratiot Ave in the early 1920s. As an Edison dealer, the end of the Edison phonograph in the late 20s unfortunately meant the end for The Detroit Phonograph Company...until now!

In 2014, Brandon Langford, an antique phonograph collector and life-long Detroit area resident, re-opened the The Detroit Phonograph Company after nearly 100 years of being all but forgotten.

Gus Greening

Detroit Business Directory 1899

Detroit Business Directory 1899